Hello, My name is Bethany and I'm a Yarn Addict. I've struggled with/enjoyed my addiction for 20 + years. I'm on about the 12th step of my pattern and I have no intention of kicking the habit. I have a large stash (of yarn) and I've been known to share (knitting) needles. My Fiber of choice is lace. Yes, I am a yarn addict, and this is my story...

Thursday, March 3, 2011

A Needle Solution

A couple weeks ago I raved about my new KnitPicks Harmony interchangeable needle set...And I still love them.  In fact, I have a couple projects going on them right now!  The one thing I did NOT like about this set was the case that came with them:  It was flimsy, clear plastic that had the distinct odor of petrol emitting from it:
What was a girl to do?  Fortunately I had a bit of spare time and a bit of leftover fabric from making ring bearer pillows for my upcoming wedding. (Except for the pink...I had to buy the pink...'cause it was obnoxiously bright and cheery!)  and a bit of fabric interfacing, but other than that, all materials I happened to have on hand!
Let me begin by saying that I am NOT a good seamstress.  The extent of my sewing skills are typically hemming, basic costume making and pillows.  Nothing requiring skill so much as dumb luck. Fortunately I found an excellent interchangeable knitting needle case tutorial HERE for which I am extremely grateful!
And here's my result!
Interchangeable needle case
Close up of button Closure
Pockets for all my things!

Needle and Cable Pockets


Of course, I had to make a few tweaks to the pattern....'cause I NEVER do that, right????
Instead of the zippered invisible pocket on her tutorial I added a contrasting magnetic closure notions pocket on the top flap:

And I put a large open topped pocket across the back of the case to keep my chart keeper in:

Tah Dah!
Not too shabby for someone who doesn't know what she's doing!


2 comments:

  1. That is beautiful! I couldn't have done better...not at all! Would love to see it in person, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jackie! I wasn't really pleased with how big it turned out, I may rip out the seams and re-do it...but I do love it for what it is! Maybe I'll just try to make up my own pattern for a smaller version, for traveling. I wish for as big as it turned out it could have held straights too. I can actually fit a couple pair in the bottom pocket, but not organized-like. The pattern is fab for interchangeables though!

    ReplyDelete